Monday, August 29, 2011

Watch out girls, that apple juice is trouble!

Today I bought some apple juice. I chose it over the other juices purely because it was called "jus de pomme trouble." Which means "apple juice" and whatever "trouble" is. I never really figured it out. Anyway, I just thought it was hilarious, so I bought it even though I don't really like apple juice. COOL STORY BRO.

Yesterday we moved into our host family residences. I'm staying with a very nice femme named Monique, in a cute little apartment on the 6th French floor. Which is like the American 7th floor. There's no elevator, but it's surprisingly easy to walk up 6 flights of stairs. I think there's something in the water here. I always feel so capable of walking and climbing stairs. And crossing the street! I used to be scared of that.

There's something in the water here that makes my hair gross and crunchy, but that's another story.

My room is very cute, and looks into a little courtyard, with a view of some similarly cute French buildings and some not-so-cute office structures. But there is a little window grate and the windows are faux stained glass and it is airy and ensoleillée. I kind of love it.

This is a window grate. Do you think there's a legitimate name for them?
Today was also special because it started out terrible, and then somehow the magic of the universe took over and everything was perfect. I was running late in the morning, so I decided to take the metro instead of walking, and then things got comically difficult. While wander around the surprisingly giant Place de la Nation, my shoe broke. It's been a long time coming, but  was still surprised when, in the middle of the crosswalk, the entire back half of my flat just unraveled, leaving me with essentially half a shoe and some rags. I swore quietly and continued on my frantic search for a metro station. I finally got to class half an hour late (after a serious battle with the printer), and was very very ashamed of myself.

At lunch, though, things quickly turned around. I asked a randomly selected group of friends/acquaintances if they knew where a shoe store was (because hell if I was going to take a walking tour of La Jardin des Plantes and las Mosquée in one and a half shoes), and one of them suggested a cheap store directly across the street. At the store, I found some flats on sale for 6€. Even better, they looked a little like my ailing shoes: pointed toes, lace pattern. Even better, they were insanely comfortable and didn't give me blisters all day! So that was a win. After that, the day just got better and better. Here are the shoes:

Hello, my pretties.
It's been a good day. I am sleepy. Perhaps I'll take a nap.

1 comment: