Friday, September 9, 2011

Feeling Like Myself Again

For the past few weeks, I've been trying really hard to fit in here. Making friends, studying more than I ever do (not that that's really saying anything), and making a serious effort to acclimate to the general Frenchiness. I've been wearing makeup, eating breakfast at the table, glowering at passersby and using the magic words almost until their enchantment wears off completely. But I think I tried so hard to be French that I kind of forgot to continue being me. Up until a couple of days ago, I hadn't cooked, crafted, or been obsessed with a song because it made me feel like I was in a movie in weeks. And then I decided it had to stop.

On Tuesday I went to this awesome yarn store called "La Droguerie" with a new friend. After wandering around for three hours fingering the yarns (both fingering and worsted...YARN JOKE!) and generally being too wussy to ask someone who you had to screw around here to get a ball of yarn, someone finally came up to us and (rather pointedly?) asked if we needed some help. I came away with some really lovely deep purple wool and a set of dpns, and last night I started to make some sweet mittens for the cold unforgiving Paris winter to come!



It was just good to do something that I've always enjoyed, you know? I feel like being The American Student Living In Paris has kind of clouded my identity. I forgot that I was also Zoe Toffaleti, who likes to do things that are not related to France, French, or homesickness. I like a lot of things! Almost all of the things, actually. (Except mushrooms.) And I think it's really important that I keep doing stuff I enjoyed back home, even if it isn't "what I should be spending my precious time in France on." That's dumb. I should do whatever makes me happy. And you know what makes me happy? This sandwich.

Hello, sexy.
I think this is a really important breakthrough. Just because I'm in a different country doesn't mean I don't need to do the same soul-sustaining activities I did at home. I'm still the same person. I still need to knit and make elaborate dishes. And I need a sick soundtrack to accompany that! So here is a Ukranian polka band cover of Hot and Cold by Katy Perry:




You're welcome.

I promise I'll post something travel bloggy next time.

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! The yarn is a beautiful purple and I definitely agree that it's important to keep being you rather than try to be the perfect foreign exchange student. It may mean your experience is less prototypically "French", but it's way more important that you're happy on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the Katy Perry cover tune! Nice to read that you are retaining your Zoe-ness, cuz that is pretty lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're not singing in Ukrainian, are they? This is the cutest polka band EVER.
    Why is it so hard to post a comment? WHY?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post too! I always by yarn and sewing supplies when I am in a new place- and I usually am working on some project. I tatted lace when Becky and I traveled through Europe and she griped about traveling with an old lady the whole time. But you meet nice people in yarn stores and on trains while you keep you hands busy.

    And bless you for the video- it was just what I needed with out knowing what I needed.

    ReplyDelete