Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My Eating Habit: Cheap, Delicious, and Shameful

Sometimes, when I'm in a hurry or feeling a little down, I turn to Picard for my suppers. Oh, Picard! A magical land of wonder and freezers!


Picard is a frozen food store, but it's a frozen food store like no other. The quality is comparable to Trader Joe's, in that it's about as delicious as frozen food could ever be. But because Picard sells nothing but frozen food (and a couple random knick knacks like ice cream cones and balsamic vinegar), the selection is incroyable. They have frozen puff pastry hors d'oeuvres. They have frozen red currants. They have frozen waffles, crepes, french toast, bread, croissants, viennoisseries. They have fish. They have chicken. They have prepared pasta dishes and ethnic food dishes and traditional French dishes. They have juice. They have soup. They have pizza. They have ice cream. They have pies. They have cake. They have shrimp.

So if I don't want to have to think too hard, I go to Picard and I pick out exactly what I want to eat, already prepared, with simple cooking instructions in simple French. Twenty minutes in the oven and voila! Goat cheese and spinach pastries for dinner.

The only problem with this is that it encourages me to eat exactly what I want for dinner. Which was, tonight, quiche lorraine and lemon sorbet. It was less than 5€ for two meals' worth of food, but I can't say it hits a lot of food groups...

The other problem is that since Picard is a 30 econd walk from my apartment building, and since I only buy a couple things at a time, I just carry the boxes in my hands. And then the traditional French people eating traditional French dinners at the traditional French bistro on the corner eye my sorbet and quiche disgustedly. They know exactly what I'm doing. They are ashamed for me.

Actually, on second though, there's no way they could know that I eat my sorbet right out of the carton. But I swear to god, they can read it in my face. And then they judge me for it. 

Harshly.

1 comment: