Thursday, November 24, 2011

Givin' Some Thanks...

So, I know this is an unpopular opinion, but my favorite part of the Thanksgiving festivities is when everyone sits down and they all have to say what they're thankful for. (Fun fact: "my family" and "this wonderful meal" are super clichéd. Make a little effort, people. Come on.) The opportunity to be in France! Butterflies! These super warm socks! The Black Friday sale at Urban Outfitters! The Hunger Games! Julian Fellowes! That girl who gave me her super awesome pen for no reason! Public transportation! Love! Friendship! Living in a first-world country! The list goes on and on! And that exposition of thanks is my favorite part of Thanksgiving.

Oh wait, that's not right. Pie is my favorite part of Thanksgiving. MY BAD.

But the thanks thing is a close second.

Annnnnnyway, I'm very thankful (see what I did there, with the thanks?), to have nabbed an invitation to my Auntie Ann and Uncle Michel's place in central France for the weekend. It's not really for Thanksgiving, it's just a regular visit, but since I am so very gung-ho about the holiday, they are pulling some strings and we are going to have a magnificent turkey chicken dinner! (Turns out you can't get a turkey in France in November. Even if you make a personal call to your butcher.) And before I take off to have a delightful weekend in the country, I just wanted to tell all y'all back home/in Paris/in Chile/in one of those other weird countries that pop up in my stats without explanation what I'm thankful for.

I am thankful for France. It is beautiful and ancient and fascinating. I'm thankful for the opportunity to be here, and thankful to all those who helped me get here with money or he application process or moral support, and thankful for the things I've gotten out of this bizarre and wonderful culture.

I am thankful for America. It's so open and honest and friendly there. I'm thankful that I get to go back, and that I've been so privileged as to be raised in a country that is so rich in so many ways. And I'm thankful for PEANUT BUTTER.

I'm thankful for family, friends, family friends, friends' families, acquaintances I'd like to be better friends with, kindly strangers, and my gentleman friend Forrest Phillips. You're all perfect and I'll love you forever. For. Ev. Urr.

I'm thankful for Downton Abbey getting picked up for a third season. Also thankful that Parks and Recreation exists.

I'm thankful for The Hunger Games, and thankful that Kris is awesome and loaned it me.

I'm thankful for these socks I bought yesterday that don't have holes in the toes and are really warm.

I'm thankful that my hair is finally long enough that it doesn't look stupid more than half the time.

I'm thankful that the thrift stores here are filled with hipsterlicious basics from French brands.

I'm thankful for crème caramel.

I'm thankful for my hard-earned (and yet still kind of pitiful) knowledge of the French language.

De quoi êtes-vous raconaissants?

(See! Je parle français!)

2 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for YOU. And pecan pie (see FB post). Love you, Sweetie Pie. Mummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful to read your wonderful blog! You better never stop writing, cuz youse a really good writer!

    ReplyDelete